Friday, April 18, 2008

Shake it up, Baby

Well, what a rude awakening! William woke up with a start about 4:30 this morning--not typical for him. In fact, it kinda scared me. As I started to nurse him back to sleep, suddenly the bed started shaking. Got my attention real quick! I recognized the movement right away, but it wasn't accompanied by any noise (other than the creaking of wood) so I did everything I could to convince myself that it wasn't an earthquake--even called Ben to confirm with him that earthquakes don't happen in the midwest. Then what do you know, he called me on his way home from work to let me know there had been an earthquake, near southern Illinois. Apparently, with no mountains around, the earth shakes for quite a distance--noise free.
We are all ok. The kids (except for William) slept right thru it. No recognizable damage to report. We are fine. (a little rattled, but fine) Very interesting experience, though. I thought it was just tornadoes we'd be worrying about.

4 comments:

Jill said...

Some friend around here said they felt it, but I never worke up or felt a thing. Strange. Glad everyone is OK. Never thought we'd have to worry about it either.Great!!

Lori said...

Glad you're OK. We had a little one a few weeks back (well, we got the little part. A town in Nevada was the epicenter) and it was weird to wake up to that shaking.

Brandon and Angela Hoopes said...

And you thought you had left earthquakes behind, since you moved from Utah! What a crazy experience, though! I have never experienced an earthquake, even all the time I lived in Utah, and now in Oregon, which is a common earthquake spot. I'm glad for now that I haven't been through one!

Jill said...

Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!! You are a wonderful mother to your sweet boys!! Plus, any mom who can raise 4 boys is a Saint in my book!!! Love ya!!