Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11th

Too many of us remember this day with reverence and awe. I think it should be that way. But for many, it is also a day of celebration. So for those like my sister, Marti, I send out a shout of joy and say Happy Birthday!
7 years ago the unthinkable happened. It's a day that few can or will ever forget. Instead, we remember where we were, and what we were doing, and exactly how we felt! It was as if the world stopped turning. I'm embarrassed to say, I was still in bed, asleep. Ben called me from work and told me to turn on the tv. I remember asking what for and he just replied, 'you've gotta see for yourself.' It was surreal. I couldn't comprehend something so horrible. I waited for the 'happily ever after' to come, for the reports that everyone had been evacuated from the building and that everything was fine...And I watched in horror as a second plane hit the other Tower. ..and an eternity later...I watched the reports of the colapse of both of the Twin Towers.
I remember the silence...a sickening silence...when all planes were grounded-including all air traffic coming and going from Hill AFB. I hadn't realized how often we heard the planes fly over(we lived in the landing pattern for Hill) until we didn't hear anything for days.
7 years later, I still remember that day. I learned from those tragic events, to love the flag and to value freedom! To value the rights and priviledges I have as a US citizen. I've learned that waiting in line to go thru airport security isn't so bad.
I hope each of you remember the good that 9/11 invokes in us. Use this day to celebrate that good.

1 comment:

Jill said...

I remember calling you that morning asking if you had the TV on. It was just so crazy!! I remember the scared feeling I had, wondering WHAT IS GOING ON?!!!

By the way...Micheal is in Kindergarten. Wow, where did the time go?