Wednesday, May 21, 2008

things about me...part ll

4. Did you ever get in really bad trouble? With the police? (juicy details, please!)

Hmm, I've had to think on that one for awhile. And honestly, I can't think of any thing more that a visit to the principals office. And even then, it was only twice--once in 7th grade for cussing at a boy who was teasing me, and then once in HS, but I don't remember the reason for that visit. I was a sophmore then.

5. What qualities do you admire in your parents? What do you love about them?
Do you think you inherited those?

My mom is an awesome teacher. She was a teacher for a couple of generations, actually. And had many parents who had been taught by her, requesting her to teach their children. Now that I'm a parent and understand that not all teachers make such an impact, I'm even more impressed by the things she accomplished in her classrooms (and in our home too). Nobody is perfect. I see faults in her, but as far as her profession, I can't think of anyone who has done better. Sometimes I think I have a bit of her talent, but other times I wonder. I didn't inherit her love of books, but I did learn the value of reading and enjoy reading to my children.
Then there is my dad. In my mind, he was a very patient man--that is unless he's dealing with his cows. He had a short fuse when it came to dealing with animals. But the quality I admire the most in him is his love of the scriptures. Countless times I remember finding him sitting in his chair or at the table with his scriptures open and a red pencil in his hand. He loved to read the scriptures and share what he learned with his family. He loved good music, folk music in particular reminds me of him. And mandolins. He taught himself to play a mandolin. I do have a love of the scriptures and of the Book of Mormon in particular. But I think that is something I got from both of my parents, not just my dad.

6. If you could be someone else for a day, who would it be and why?

Marjorie Pay Hinckley. She is my hero. She was always so kind and patient.
It boggles my mind how she could be that way all the time. I wonder how she did it. How did she have the patience with kids when Pres. Hinckley was away, how did they never once quarrel in their whole married lives? I've already goofed that one up. How did she teach her kids to be so strong in the gospel? She would always hurry and tidy up the house and make sure her hair was in place and her dress smoothed out before Pres. Hinckley would walk in the door from work. I still can't get that one to work out. I just wonder what her life was like and what she thought about and how she could be so incredibly Christlike.

No comments: